Recently, all the features and innovations of the New World expansion Rise of the Angry Earth were presented.
Ride mounts, wield a new weapon, and explore transformed lands when New World: Rise of the Angry Earth launches on October 3. We can’t wait for players to experience every new feature, including the story behind the fall of First Light, in our first paid expansion. Discover Aeternum’s next chapter for $29.99. New players can pick up both the base game and the expansion for $69.99 as part of the New World: Elysian Edition bundle.
Look forward to Season 3 updates for all players alongside the release of Rise of the Angry Earth. With revamped mainline story quests, open world PvP changes based on player feedback, and quality of life improvements like the removal of Wards, Banes and Expertise, there has never been a better time to visit the Eternal Isle. Check out the announcement trailer below.
Here’s an overview of every major update coming to New World as part of Rise of the Angry Earth, plus answers to your most common questions such as new system requirements. We’re also happy to offer players a chance to get an early feel for these features in the next PTR.
RISE OF THE ANGRY EARTH
The lush greenery of Elysian Wilds, powerful new combat options, and primordial Beast Lords await those brave enough to challenge Artemis. You will need to purchase Rise of the Angry Earth to experience the following updates:
First Light has fallen. Once a welcoming place for newcomers to Aeternum, the fields have been ravaged by the fury of the Angry Earth. No one is certain what has become of the people and villages that once populated the area, and a deadly barrier has kept all but the most intrepid from attempting to find out. This abundance of earthly powers has awakened the mighty Beast Lords, a new possible adversary facing the people of Aeternum… but with them also comes a boon – the secret to taming and riding animals.
Summon a mount for faster traversal across Aeternum. Master horses, dire wolves, and lions, each with a unique look, customizable equipment and a name you can set. Level up the new Riding Trade Skill to earn upgrades like increased speeds, buffs and higher tier consumable food for your new friend.
Increase your character’s level to 65 and Gear Score to 700 with new attributes to help power up your builds. Increase Trade Skills to level 250 with new items to gather, refine and craft. Complete a new Faction Quest and unlock a new Faction tier loaded with desirable gear and items.
NEW GEAR RARITY: ARTIFACTS
Find and equip Artifacts, a powerful new tier of weapons and armor. Complete a series of quests and awaken the Artifact’s full potential by unlocking its six perks including one unique playstyle-defining perk to change your game.
NEW WEAPON: FLAIL
The Flail is a versatile one-handed weapon with the option for an offhand shield. Use arcane magic to enhance attacks and buff allies or debuff enemies for an easier victory. Through a combination of melee, arcane magic, and strong defenses, the wielder can bolster their group’s effectiveness without dropping the offensive.
A ZONE TRANSFORMED: ELYSIAN WILDS
The southeastern tip of Aeternum, formerly known as First Light, has been invaded by the powers of Artemis and the Angry Earth. Explore the raised structures of this magical new landscape and battle the ferocious beasts that have taken refuge in the verdant, unsettled terrain.
NEW EXPEDITION: THE SAVAGE DIVIDE
Embark on a dangerous new Level 62+ Expedition to track down the primordial Beast Lords before chaos emerges from the depths of Aeternum.
NEW HEARTRUNE ABILITY: PRIMAL FURY
Unleash your inner beast to deal unarmed light and heavy attacks on enemies.
SEASON 3 CONTENT
Influence Races, a new Season Pass, a main storyline quest revamp, and more are coming for all players in Season 3. Here are some of the highlights:
NEW SEASON PASS
Season 3 introduces a new Season Journey, new Activity Card, new Challenges, and new rewards.
NEW INFLUENCE RACES
Capture new Influence Towers and strike down enemy Factions in open world combat for territorial supremacy. Each Faction will compete for Influence in specific zones during scheduled times. If an attacking Faction earns enough Influence through PvP Missions, Influence Towers, and Forts before the race ends, they’ll receive bonus rewards, plus the opportunity to declare War. If the defending Faction prevents the attackers from scoring enough Influence within the time limit, they’ll earn bonus rewards for both the Influence Race and the next War. Regardless of who wins, the attacking Faction with the most influence can escalate the conflict into War.
NEW MAIN STORYLINE QUEST REVAMP: EDENGROVE AND GREAT CLEAVE
The Edengrove and Great Cleave main storylines are getting an overhaul based on player feedback and improvements made to the revamped starting experience. Experience these familiar zones through fresh narratives, more quest variety, and a few new surprises.
WARD, BANE, RESILIENCE AND EXPERTISE REMOVAL
We’re removing Creature Bane Perks, Creature Ward Perks, Resilience Perks, and Expertise based on player feedback. As a result, we will make the following balance changes:
- For Banes, we’re increasing the base damage of magic and ranged weapons in PvE to make them more effective alternatives to melee options against multiple enemies.
- For Wards, we’re making adjustments on the AI and encounter side to account for the removal of their defensive and offensive benefits.
- For Resilience, we’ve added crit reduction to all players via the equip load effects (Light -15%, Medium -20%, Heavy -25%). Current items with this perk will receive the “Health” perk instead which increases the player’s health as a certain percentage of their base health.
- For Expertise, we’re making adjustments to the Gear Score drops from all creatures based on their level.
Stay tuned for more weapon and perk balance updates as we continue to implement player feedback in Season 3.
Events will continue to be free for all players. This season includes the following returning favorites:
Costumes are coming alongside the return of Baalphazu, Marquis of Terror. Banish the demon and his horde of ghoulish Pumpkinites for a chance at temporary Mask skins, treats, and other limited-time rewards.
Turkulon is back for revenge. Hunt down the feathered menace and his ‘fowl army’ to earn new rewards.
CAN I PURCHASE RISE OF THE ANGRY EARTH WITHOUT OWNING THE BASE GAME?
- New World is required to play the expansion. Rise of the Angry Earth is a continuation of the main story quest featuring some of the game’s most difficult challenges yet.
DOES THE RISE OF THE ANGRY EARTH EXPANSION INCLUDE THE PREMIUM REWARD TRACK?
- The Premium Reward Track is a separate purchase from the expansion and must be bought individually.
HOW DOES RISE OF THE ANGRY EARTH EXPANSION WORK ACROSS DIFFERENT CHARACTERS ON THE SAME ACCOUNT?
- New World: Rise of the Angry Earth is account-wide and will be accessible to all of your characters regardless of their world.
WILL RISE OF THE ANGRY EARTH EXPANSION CONTENT BE AVAILABLE FOR A LIMITED-TIME LIKE SEASONAL CONTENT?
- No, the expansion content will remain available regardless of the Season, while Seasonal content will continue to cycle about every 3 months.
HOW WILL NEW WORLD: RISE OF THE ANGRY EARTH IMPACT MY ABILITY TO JOIN PLAYERS WHO DO NOT OWN THE EXPANSION?
- New World: Rise of the Angry Earth is the only way for players to experience the Elysian Wilds zone, the Primal Fury Heartrune, the Savage Divide Expedition, the Flail weapon, Artifact gear, mounts, progression updates, and revamped Mutations. All other modes, events, and quests will remain accessible for everyone to enjoy together.
WHAT CHANGES ARE COMING TO REVAMPED MUTATIONS WITH RISE OF THE ANGRY EARTH?
- To further improve Mutations as an endgame activity, we’ve revamped the experience for level 65 players. As a result, you will need to purchase Rise of the Angry Earth and max out your character level to enter Mutated Expeditions. Based on player feedback, Mutations will have 3 difficulties and a weekly limit of 100 Mutations. This added accessibility means less time waiting for groups and more opportunities for players to help less experienced Adventurers.
- Players can also look forward to more desirable endgame rewards. For example, players that complete Elite Mutations will have a chance to earn Artifacts. Here’s the difficulty breakdown.
- Intermediate: Requires 650 gear, includes Mutation
- Hard: Requires 675 gear, includes Mutation and Promotion
- Elite: Requires 700 gear, includes Mutation, Promotion, and Curses
WHAT ARE THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS TO PLAY NEW WORLD?
New World has continued to grow since launch and reached a point where the PC requirements for running the game need to scale with these new experiences. To improve the game’s client performance for all players throughout Aeternum, New World will require the following system requirements alongside the release of Rise of the Angry Earth:
- OS: Windows 10/11 64-bit
- Processor: Intel Core i5-10500 @ 3.10GHz / AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
- Memory: 8GB RAM @ 3200 MHz
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB / AMD Radeon RX 590
- DirectX: 11 and 12
- Hard Drive: 100 GB
- Disk Read Speed: 2000 MB/s
- OS: Windows 10/11 64-bit
- Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz / AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
- Memory: 16GB RAM @ 3200 MHz
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 / AMD Radeon RX 6600
- DirectX: 11 and 12
- Hard Drive: 100 GB
- Disk Read Speed: 2500 MB/s
Note: Internet connection is required to play. PC specs for New World may continue to evolve over time.
The Public Test Realm (PTR) is a limited-availability server-set that grants an early look at upcoming features. These preview builds are snapshots of upcoming major releases and are not final versions — you may encounter bugs, crashes, missing text, or other issues. Between our internal testing efforts and your reports, we hope to catch and resolve all serious issues before they reach the live servers. Hundreds of changes have already been made — with more to come — and the full release notes will be shared on release day. However, not every bug or feedback piece will be actioned on before release — some changes need time to be investigated further, and may arrive in a subsequent patch or two.
To help with the feedback process, all newly created PTR characters will have the opportunity to instantly level to select level-ranges outfitted with appropriate gear and items.
Stay tuned to our website and social media channels for updates on when the Rise of the Angry Earth and Season 3 PTR will be available. If you encounter a bug, exploit, or have suggestions to improve a feature or piece of content, we’d love to hear your feedback on our Discord (you can also utilize our in-game feedback tool). We will do our best to address as much of your feedback as possible before the content update makes its way to our live servers. Your participation will help us to deliver awesome content and updates in the future!
During this iteration of the PTR, we look forward to hearing your playtest feedback on the following changes:
- Elysian Wilds Zone
- Rise of the Angry Earth Main Story Quest
- Edengrove and Great Cleave Main Story Quest Revamp
- The Savage Divide Expedition
- Horse Mounts
- Weapon/Perk changes
- Primal Fury Heartrune
- Trade Skill and Gear Score changes
- Influence Race
- Season 3 Rewards Track
PTR CLIENT ACCESS
This special preview client will be made available for download through the stand-alone Steam application, “New World Public Test Realm” (which should already be in your Steam library if you own the main game). When the test period is complete and the main New World game is updated with the previewed content, the PTR world will shut down and may be wiped clean. You will continue to see the New World PTR application in your Steam library, but there will not be an active server until the next time we announce a public test.
PTR BACKSTORY LOADOUTS
Upon character creation on the PTR, players will be given multiple caches of special armor and weapons. Each cache has a designation based upon a general build and a main attribute: CON, DEX, INT, FOC, and STR.
To help manage the sudden onset of new items, do not open all provided caches at once, or you’ll risk becoming encumbered! Instead, equip all provided bags and then follow-up with opening each cache deliberately. Any undesired caches can be dropped or deposited into your personal settlement storage.
HOW DO I ACCESS THE NEW PTR?
Everyone with a copy of New World will be automatically granted access to the secondary PTR app. The PTR is not compatible with the live game, so you will need to download a separate client (and have the hard drive space required to support it). From there, we will have special worlds available within supported regions. Not all regions will initially be supported. Access is on a first come, first served basis. There may be queues.
CAN I PLAY WITH OR TRANSFER MY LIVE CHARACTERS TO THE PTR?
Unfortunately, no. These are separate ecosystems, so at this time it is not possible. However, to make testing easier, we will occasionally provide our play-testers with special accommodations such as instant levels, special gear, etc.
CAN I PROVIDE DESIGN FEEDBACK REGARDING WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE PTR?
Preview game builds on the PTR are finished with their core development and are in their final phase of testing and bug fixing. Our main focus at this phase is improving quality, although we will appreciate any feedback you have to share.
I HAVE A PROBLEM; HOW CAN I CONTACT CUSTOMER SUPPORT?
Our policies and Code of Conduct cover the PTR, and in-game moderation will continue to be supported. Unfortunately, due to the temporary and potentially unstable nature of the PTR, general Customer Service assistance through both Live Chat and through the Support Website will not be available.
I DON’T WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PTR, CAN I REMOVE THE APP FROM MY LIBRARY?
Don’t worry, no offense taken. Players can manage visibility of the New World Public Test Realm Steam Library entry. Opening up the game options (right-click > Manage) offers the “Hide Game” function.
Keep an eye out for feature-specific breakdowns as we get closer to the release of Rise of the Angry Earth on October 3. Thanks for your support and participation! We’ll see you in Aeternum.