With the latest PTR update for February, you can expect no new features. The developers want to focus on improving the game and fixing any existing bugs. For example, there is now a separate trade channel in the chat or a reduction of the EP requirement for leveling up for professions.
BUGS, BALANCE, & POLISH
Deciding when to align resources to provide new content or to focus on improving what’s already there is a delicate balancing act for a Live game, and New World is no different. For our February game update, we’ve taken a moment of pause on feature development in favor of improving the state of the Live game. As such, we’re pleased to share that a significant number of high-value bug fixes and improvements as well as some small ones have been made across the entire game experience.
While we won’t be providing new content this cycle, we hope that these numerous changes will provide you — our players — with a much better day-to-day experience as you adventure throughout Aeterum. Here are some of our more significant and exciting changes to look forward to playtesting on the PTR:
- Weapon Swapping
- Weapons can now be swapped during reactions, dodges, traversal and while using consumables (except weapon coatings) and will not interrupt those actions! There’s a 1-second swap cooldown in these cases, to prevent instant weapon spamming.
- Weapon swapping and attack actions can now be queued simultaneously! Such as, if you press a weapon swap during an attack’s recovery, then immediately press an ability key, the weapon will swap at the first swap cancel frame, then immediately perform the desired ability. Although actions still have a buffer and cancel window, this change will make the weapon-change and ability-activate combo easier and more reliable to use.
- We now prevent weapon swap buffers from being cancelled if you become staggered before the swap can occur.
- Dodging & Blocking
- We have shortened the length of recovery for all of our dodges! Dodging and entering into navigation should feel more fluid for all players now.
- Basic attack startups for both melee and ranged can now be dodge and block canceled up to 2 frames before the first active frame. This is typically the first animation frame where the damage hitshape activates or the projectile/hitscan object spawns.
- Launching off lower height objects will no longer trigger a fully-committed landing reaction animation, allowing you to keep your momentum as you move through Aeternum
- Balance Changes
- A cleanup pass has been performed across all weapon types, helping a number of abilities and perks feel more predicable and potent out on the battlefield!
- The Great Axe has received a significant rework to “Gravity Well”.
- The Musket’s “Stopping Power”, “Sticky Bomb”, and “Shooter’s Stance” have also received significant reworks.
PLAYER VERSUS ENVIRONMENT
- AI Improvements
- We’re introducing a new Player-vs-AI physics collider solution that will significantly reduce the amount of pushback from bipedal and simple-shaped creatures colliding with player characters. Quadruped and long-creatures will receive a similar update in the future.
- Improved AI targeting to fix instances where AI sometimes attacks locations the player used to be (instead where they actually moved to)
- Reduced pushback on block from most creature attacks.
- Multiple AI and visual bugs have been addressed.
- AI and siege weapons have received a balance pass.
- Scoring mechanisms for contribution have been reworked:
- Dealing damage now increases player scores.
- Reduced the amount of points granted from killing enemy players.
- Reduced the amount of points granted from killing enemy AI.
- Adjusted game mode participation rewards:
- Faction Tokens are now granted on match completion.
- Outpost Rush Caches now reward 2 pieces of Outpost Rush specific armor and an Outpost Rush specific weapon. In addition, there’s also an added 15% chance of receiving a 4th item which may be a piece of Outpost Rush specific Jewelry.
- Significantly increased the likelihood that Outpost Rush Cache rewards will increase player Expertise ratings.
- Outpost Rush gear now rolls from a fixed list of perks that are more ideal for PvP combat. This means that traits like “Beast Ward” will no longer be found on Outpost Rush gear.
- Removed “Beast Ward” from “Illusory Enigma” and replaced it with “Keen”. Please note that this change isn’t retroactive and it will only apply to new Illusory Engima’s granted after the patch.
- Reduced Tradeskill EXP leveling requirements by 10% for the following tradeskills: Arcana, Armoring, Engineering, Furnishing, Jewelcrafting, and Weaponsmithing.
- A new Trade Chat channel has been added, facilitating a dedicated space to hawk your wares!
Many more changes have been made across the entire New World experience. Check out our PTR Release Notes for a bigger picture and let us know what you think on the PTR subforum!
PTR BACKSTORY LOADOUTS
Upon character creation on the PTR, players will be given multiple caches of special armor and weapons. Each cache has a designation based upon a general build based on a main attribute: CON, DEX, INT, FOC, and STR. To help manage the sudden onset of new items, do not open all provided caches at once, or you risk becoming encumbered! Instead, equip all provided bags and then follow-up with opening each cache deliberately. Any undesired caches can be dropped or deposited into your personal settlement storage.
HOW DO I ACCESS THE NEW PTR?
Everyone with a copy of New World will be automatically granted access to the secondary PTR app. The PTR is not compatible with the live game, so you will need to download a separate client (and have the hard drive space required to support it). From there, we will have special worlds available within supported regions. Not all regions will initially be supported. Access is on a first come, first served basis. There may be queues.
CAN I PLAY WITH OR TRANSFER MY LIVE CHARACTERS TO THE PTR?
Unfortunately, no. These are separate ecosystems, so at this time it is not possible. However, to make testing easier, we will occasionally provide our play-testers with special accommodations such as instant levels, special gear, etc.
CAN I PROVIDE DESIGN FEEDBACK REGARDING WHAT’S INCLUDED ON THE PTR?
Preview game builds on the PTR are finished with their core development and are in their final phase of testing and bug fixing. Our main focus at this phase is improving quality, although we will appreciate any feedback you have to share.
I HAVE A PROBLEM; HOW CAN I CONTACT CUSTOMER SUPPORT?
Our policies and Code of Conduct cover the PTR, and in-game moderation will continue to be supported. Unfortunately, due to the temporary and potentially unstable nature of the PTR, general Customer Service assistance through both Live Chat and through the Support Website will not be available.
I DON’T WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PTR, CAN I REMOVE THE APP FROM MY LIBRARY?
Don’t worry, no offense taken. Players can manage visibility of the New World Public Test Realm Steam Library entry. Opening up the game options (right-click > Manage) offers the “Hide Game” function.